Moussaka sana – Healthy MoussakaCourse: Main
500g lean minced lamb
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1½ tsp dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
2tbsp plain flour
400g canned chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato purée
2 medium eggplants, each about 275g, cut into 1 cm round slices (ends discarded)
1 tbsp of olive oil
100g of feta cheese
salt + pepper
2 (beaten) eggs
Parmesan and emmental cheese (according to your preferences)
- Spray a pan with olive oil and gently spread it along with the pan
- Add the smashed garlic and the chopped onions and actively stir for 5 mins.
- Add the minced lamb meat and break it into pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook until it shows noticeable color.
- Stir in the salt, sweetener, oregano, cinnamon, and finally a bay leaf in order to season the mixture up.
- Add the tomato purée. Stir again until thoroughly combined.
- Cook until the liquid has been reduced. Stirring is only necessary occasionally. Cook for 30 mins.
- Remove the bay leaf from the mixture and season it with salt (again) and pepper according to your preferences.
- Let the mix sit for a while on low fire.
- Meanwhile, slice the eggplant in thin (- 1 cm) pieces. Season with salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Pan-fry the eggplant slices with low-calorie olive oil for about 3-4 mins.
- Once the eggplant has an external cooked aspect, let them sit on paper towels in order to remove the excessive fats.
- Let some oil sit on the pan, and add the flour in order to make a paste. Do not stir in all the flour at first, add simultaneously as the paste is being formed.
- Add in the Greek yogurt and the feta cheese and stir until the paste becomes smooth and fully blended.
- Remove the pan from the fire and add in the beaten eggs, and prevent the mixture from scrambling.
- Preheat the oven at a 180 º C temperature.
- Add a layer of the meat mixture on a porcelain tray. Press it down in order to make it a little more compact.
- Add a layer of white sauce on top, followed by a layer of eggplants.
- Lastly, add a new layer of meat, a new eggplant layer, and finally a layer of sauce. Spread some Parmesan and Emmental cheese on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then leave the moussaka sit for at least 15 minutes, cut into pieces and serve.